Tikaani

Tikaani
The mascot of Prism*Song

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pro-cure autists.

As much as many want to believe a lot of autists don't feel the same way as neuro-ds do. Many of them fall in to the dissonance of loathing and deprivation. Though this is pitiable and sometimes rather pathetic. It's understandable that they like parents when they find out their children are autistic that they too go through a grieving process.

The "autie" version of Curbie Bingo shows many examples of autists discriminating against other autists and autistic self-hate. Though I reciprocate much of their hurt and confusion a world that is so discriminating. But separating yourself from your diagnosis and hunting for the "unicorn" that is the cure, is really disappointing. Why? Because your setting yourself up for a "cure" is really succumbing to the lies of the neurotypical society and letting yourself be cowed by outside pressures. While I may be pro-choice when it comes to cure and I will not stop anyone from looking for a cure. I will however, pity those that do and hope that they will find happiness even it means for something that doesn't exist and placebo effects.

Acceptance does not mean no treatment. It means having courage to change what you can and they serenity and grace to accept the things you can't change. To pull something from Disney's Gargoyles; Hudson, an elder gargoyle said to the younger trio, that A gargoyle cannot stop protecting the castle as it cannot stop breathing the air (I think), in that same tangent an autist cannot stop being autistic in the manner we cannot stop breathing the air.

3 comments:

  1. I always liked Gargoyles as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, as a precautionary statement, I am also autistic and I have nothing against other autistics. I love your blog, your fiction (even though I've never seen Avatar), and generally agree with you on most subjects.

    I'm not trying to make enemies, or earn your disfavor, really. You're a pretty cool person.

    But I'm a little more on the "pro-cure" side of things. In my case, it's a self-esteem issue instead of one of self-hatred. There are also nitpicky little issues about my academic performance that I really struggle with... As well as the social stresses which I'm sure many autists are familiar with. Certainly, I could be considered 'pathetic' by many people on the spectrum that embrace the difference. However, I greatly respect all of you because you are able to do so.

    But I know that scientific knowledge is always evolving, and just because we don't have a cure now doesn't mean we'll never find one. I just know scientists are doing a lot of research, and may eventually stumble across a "treatment" so effective it could be considered a cure. I'm pretty sure it will happen during our lifetime. And because I am quite aware of my shortfalls as an autist, I would be the first to try it. So I'm hesitant to say things like "there is no cure".

    Of couse, I would much prefer something with a temporary effect, like inhaled oxytocin. I don't want to permanently turn into an NT. I might see my shortfalls, but I'm also aware of my strengths. There are a lot of things I embrace in my disability and wouldn't want to lose...In essence, I'm a selfish person that wants to be on both sides.

    The problem here, is the attitude pro-cure Neurotypicals would have toward a theoretical cure. As soon as they find a cure, some people think all people with autism should be forcefully treated and autism should be eliminated...I DO have a problem with this. I believe we should have input on whether we want to live with the condition or not. Each of us suffers with different issues, some of us need treatment more than others. I also believe society's misconceptions need to change. NTs need to realize that our way of approaching things can be beneficial to society as a whole... and that this also applies to those of us who aren't a second Einstein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I know that scientific knowledge is always evolving, and just because we don't have a cure now doesn't mean we'll never find one. I just know scientists are doing a lot of research, and may eventually stumble across a "treatment" so effective it could be considered a cure. I'm pretty sure it will happen during our lifetime. And because I am quite aware of my shortfalls as an autist, I would be the first to try it. So I'm hesitant to say things like "there is no cure".

    Thank you for reading my blog I appreciate the effort that you gave the post.

    Let me be succinct.
    The idea that a cure would be the the form of a pill that would suppress negative autistic behaviors is a pipe dream. It's a lie.

    The only cure for autism is aborting autistic fetuses. Bottom line. When you do support a cure you're supporting that.

    Feel free to continue reading and please comment.

    ReplyDelete